“A friend loves at all times. He is there to help when trouble comes” Proverbs 17:17 NIRV.
Over the years, I’ve had the fun-tastic pleasure of taking several motorcycle trips with great friends. Nothing puts a smile on my face more than riding the back roads of God’s country with the wind in my face and surrounded by buddies.
We laugh. We play. We ride hard. We see beauty beyond description and enjoy the delight of companionship.
Once on the way home from a trip to La Grande, I started to think about what makes a good friend. Here are some ideas I came up with:
• A friend is someone who invests time in the relationship.
• A friend is someone who listens (even when they’ve heard that story a hundred times).
• A friend is someone who protects you by pointing out the dangerous gravel and potholes along the way.
• A friend is someone who willingly shares with you (especially when you forget sunscreen or anything to clean your bug-smattered bike).
• A friend is someone who might tease you about snoring, but they’d never really complain.
• A friend is someone who is unafraid to say hard things in love.
• A friend is someone who looks you in the eye and says, “I love ya, man!” and you know they mean it.
What other qualities of a good friend can you think of? Do you possess these qualities as well?
If you read this and thought about a good pal, thank Jesus for that person, and pick up the phone to invite them to coffee soon.
If you read this and wish you had a friend, follow the advice my momma gave me decades ago, “If you want a friend, be friendly, and find someone looking for a friend just like you.”
May I pray for you?
Jesus, thank you for modeling perfect friendship so that by imitating you we can become friends who love at all times and help when trouble comes. Continue to show us how to serve each other in ways that please you. Amen.